Check to make sure:
a. The box has air holes for breathing, in case a child climbs inside;
b. The lid has a hinge that will hold it open in any position and it will stay open even if a child pushes down on it;and
c. There is no latch or other device that could lock the lid and trap a child inside.
Toys with Magnet
Teach children of all ages that small magnets,and small containing magnets,should never be placed in their mouth.
Swallowed magnets can attract one another across intestines and cause serious injury or death. Small powerful magnets used in toys and other household items may pose a hazard if the item containing the magnet, or the magnet itself, is small enough to be swallowed.
Check for small magnets that mau have detached from magnetic toys and immediately remove them from the play area.
Ride - On Toys
Check that the ride-on toy will not tip when a child is using it. Check that it is stable when weight is placed on any riding point.
Use the ride-on toy in safe areas that are far away from stairs, traffic, swimming pools and other hazards.
Be aware that a child on a wheeled ride-on toy can move very quickly.
Look for hazards like furniture, lamps, cords, decorations or appliances that could be knocked over or pulled down, and remove the hazards before play begins.
Toys with Batteries
Only adults should install batteries. Improper installation or mixing different battery types can cause batteries to leak or overheat, which can result in Injury.
Only adults should charge batteries. Battery chargers and adapters can pose thermal burn hazards to children.
Check that young children cannot open a toy's battery compatment.
Do not allow a child to take a battery-operated toy to a bed. Burns and other injuries could result from batteries leaking or overheating.
Call a doctor or a poison control center immediately if a child swallows a battery. Batteries can be poisonous.
More on Making Play safe
Give away toys your child has outgrown rather than throw them away. If you are discarding a broken toy, don't throw it in the dustbin. Give it to the shop that buys old newspaper and bottles. It will be sent for recycling.
Read instructions carefully to make sure that both you and the child understand them. Special attention to directions will result in safer play and longer toy life
Avoid sex-labeling. Don't stop a boy from playing with dolls or a girl from playing with cars. Gender stereotypes are no longer relevant. If you give your child a new toy and see signs of an allergy, take the toy away. If the symptoms disappear, do not give the toy back to the child.